Simple, ultralight, and completely freestanding, the Allak is an exceptional all-arounder.
The goal with the Hilleberg Allak 2 man All season dome tent was to create a completely freestanding, all season, yet very light dome tent – in other words, an ultralight Staika. The Allak uses the same integrated vestibule design as the Staika, as well as a similar 3 pole structure, but it employs ultralight materials for weight savings. The result is a two door, two vestibule tent that weighs just 3.0 kg/6 lbs 10 oz. The Allak’s three poles cross in three places, so it is sturdy enough for all season use in both exposed and/or above tree line terrain as well as protected conditions. But because of its Kerlon 1200 outer tent fabric and 9 mm poles, it is not as stout as its Kerlon 1800 cousin, the Staika. Its exceptionally compact footprint and free standing design are ideal for tough pitching conditions, such as rocky ground and sand, and it is easily light enough for mobile journeys, where you move your camp every day. At the same time, its three pole dome structure is strong enough for some base camp use, where you leave your tent unattended, especially in moderate conditions.
Over its two year development, the Allak became the tent of choice for anyone wanting the convenience of a totally free standing design in an ultralight package. Anytime our testers were uncertain about what kind of terrain or conditions they might experience on a trip, they grabbed an Allak. Paddlers love its ability to be pitched nearly anywhere, while backpackers are drawn to its roomy stability and wonderfully light weight. Mountaineers appreciate both the Allak’s free standing design and its roominess, as well as its ability to deal with snow loading. And taller adventurers will be pleasantly surprised at its remarkable length.
- The Allak’s dome design is completely free standing, and the vestibules are included in its self-supporting structure. Its innovative short pole sleeve and clip system construction, same length poles, and linked inner and outer tents make for simple and quick set up. Its design allows for a very compact footprint while maintaining interior roominess.
- Ultralight materials – Kerlon 1200 outer tent fabric and 9 mm poles – combined with the three poles crossing each other in three places – make for a very lightweight yet very stable tent with excellent snow-load handling capability.
- Pitching requires no pegs, but 12 peg points provide options for increasing stability: six loops, one at each pole end and six double guy lines with double line runners, one along each pole line.
- Both the floor space and head room are quite spacious thanks to the three pole structure and dome design.
- Two entrances and two vestibules afford tremendous convenience, flexibility and comfort. And the two vestibules are parallel to the sleeping area, so access to gear stored there is wonderfully convenient – you can even get at it while lying in your sleeping bag!
- Dual entrances ensure that one door can always be situated out of the wind.
- The Allak’s ventilation works regardless of weather conditions, since both the inner tent’s fabric is highly breathable, and since there are two roof vents integrated into the top of the doors. Extra sliders on the outer tent doors provide plenty of adjustment options, and the inner tent door is a no-see-um mesh panel covered with an equal sized, zipper-adjustable fabric panel. In addition, the top portion of the outer tents’ doors are made of highly air permeable yet water resistant fabric panels, so air flows freely, even when the panels are zipped closed. A separate vent cover ensures that the weather stays on the outside.
Click here for pitching instructions
E-mail a friend about this item.